When choosing a topic for your oral presentation, it’s important to consider your interests, expertise, and the requirements of the interview process. Here are some steps you can follow to choose the best topic for your ten-minute oral presentation:
- Consider your expertise: Think about topics that you are knowledgeable and passionate about. Consider your academic background, work experience, hobbies, and personal interests.
- Research the company or organization: Consider the values and mission of the company or organization you are interviewing with. Look for topics that align with their values or relate to their industry.
- Determine the purpose of the presentation: Identify the purpose of your oral presentation. Is it to showcase your expertise in a particular subject, to demonstrate your communication skills, or to showcase your problem-solving abilities? Tailor your topic to the purpose of the presentation.
- Consider the audience: Think about who will be attending the presentation. Will it be hiring managers, executives, or team members? Choose a topic that will engage and inform your audience.
- Brainstorm potential topics: Once you have considered your expertise, the organization, purpose, and audience, brainstorm potential topics that meet these criteria. Choose a topic that you feel passionate about and that you can speak about with confidence.
- Narrow down your options: Once you have a list of potential topics, narrow them down to the ones that best align with the organization and the purpose of the presentation.
- Practice: Once you have chosen your topic, practice your presentation. Time yourself and make sure that you can deliver the presentation in the allotted ten minutes.
Remember to choose a topic that you are passionate about and that demonstrates your skills and expertise. By following these steps, you can choose a topic that will help you stand out in the final round of your interview process.
For further discussion on public speaking, speech development, communication skills and Toastmasters, visit the Live For Excellence Book Store for the following publications:
Blow Your Own Horn!: Personal Branding for Business Professionals
Power Networking For Shy People: How to Network Like a Pro
The Power of Persuasion: Mastering the Art of Influence
The Power of Promotion: Online Marketing For Toastmasters Club Growth
The Savvy Emcee: How to be a Dynamic Master of Ceremonies
Working With Words: Adding Life to Your Oral Presentations
Rae A. Stonehouse is an author, speaker, and self-publishing consultant dedicated to helping others embrace constant improvement and overcome challenges. With over 40 years of experience as a Registered Nurse in psychiatry and mental health, Rae brings a wealth of knowledge and passion for self-development to his writing and presentations.
As a 25+ year member of Toastmasters International, Rae has systematically built his communication abilities and self-confidence to share his insights as an author and speaker. His self-help books and personal development presentations aim to have conversational one-on-one connections with readers and audiences.
Rae is known for his wry sense of humor and sage advice delivered in a relatable coaching style. After four decades as a nurse, Rae has rewired rather than retired, actively writing and pursuing public speaking. He strives to share lessons learned to help others achieve personal and professional growth.